Art therapy is the intentional use of art-making to create an opportunity to express and better understand our emotions and our needs, and to create and nurture balance and well-being, within a space that is facilitated by an art therapist. It is grounded in the belief that creative process and self-expression help us to find ways to cope, to manage stress, depression, anxiety, mental health issues and the myriad of other un-eases that trip us up in our daily lives. It gives us the space and opportunity to express ourselves, without judgement or expectation.
No experience or knowledge of art materials is needed.
I am an art therapist (Vancouver Art Therapy Institute) and mixed media artist (BFA from Emily Carr University). My background is in fine arts and design – I have been running my own small design studio for the last 13 years where I’ve worked within the creative arts & culture, small business and non-profit communities. I run my private art therapy practice out of my studio in the West End of Vancouver, and also facilitate group art therapy workshops in different locations around the city. My workshops generally focus around themes of self-care and exploring art-making as a process rather than a means to a final product.
Art therapy is a sum of everything I love about art and art-making, in many ways – but in large part because of it’s potential for community and resource building. The possibilities around well-being, collaboration and community-building by way of active self-care, peer support and connection, art-making and creative expression. My personal approach to art-making and art therapy is grounded in an emphasis on process, play and exploration of materials. And the belief that we all have the potential (and capacity) to make change in our lives, and to create more balance amidst our whirlwinds.
I offer group art therapy workshops, as well as private art therapy sessions.
I offer ongoing group workshops out of my private studio and various locations around Vancouver. For details about upcoming workshops, groups, and events – please check back here, follow me on Facebook or Instagram, visit my Fieldtripp page, or join my Mailing List!
ALSO, I can absolutely customize a workshop (or series of workshops) for a specific group of people. Please be in touch if that is something you’d like to discuss in more detail!
I offer private art therapy sessions for all ages! The following price list reflects my standard session rates, but I do also offer the option of sliding scale. If that’s something you’re interested in please reach out and let me know!
1 hr (60 minutes): $75
1.5 hrs (90 minutes): $100
2 hrs (120 minutes): $125
All materials are included. Contact me for more information, and/or to book a session!
I’M DOING A FIRST SESSION FREE PROMOTION!
This promo will be happening at least until the end of this year, and possibly as an ongoing thing. Because really, the best way to get a sense of what art therapy is about and if it’s a good fit for you – is to try it. It’s also important to feel that a specific therapist is a right fit. So please reach out and let me know if you have any questions at all, or would like to book your first free session. NOTE: This promo is for private (one-on-one) sessions only.
NEW 5-WEEK SERIES:
ART, CREATIVE PROCESS & SELF-CARE
Self-care is complicated. We know that we need to take care of ourselves in the face of ever-busying lives, occupational burnout, and growing anxiety around …well, everything. But the term “self-care” isn’t always as warm and friendly a notion as it ought to be. Rather than inspiring and activating us, it often makes us feel defeated before we’ve even begun, or flailing for ideas and tangible solutions. And oh my gosh…time…seems increasingly elusive and fleeting.
The idea behind this 5-week series is to develop a customized, hands-on, realistic, and sustainable arts-based plan and practice – as a way to address our efforts to take care of ourselves. Grounded in creative process and expression by way of exploring art materials, the idea is to co-create something that suits YOU, and fits into YOUR life.
- 5-week private (one-on-one) series, each weekly session will be 1.5 hours. Your sessions can be scheduled on the same day and time each week, or can be different each week to fit into your schedule. Start up whenever you like, and space the sessions out however you like. * NOTE: All sessions in the series must be used within 3 months of the date of your first session.
- Cost is $350 for the full 5-week series. Includes all art materials. * NOTE: This amount does not include the cost of your take home kit that will be designed for you by the end of the series.
- Each session will explore at least 2 different (art) materials and ways of using them…some traditional, others less so. * NOTE: Sessions will not include technical instruction in terms of traditional technique, but will be focused on exploration of materials, play and creative expression.
- Your self-care plan will include a list of art materials for your “kit” (as well as suggestions for places to purchase them), and a customized strategy and schedule for creating space (physical space, and time) to implement your plan. * NOTE: For an additional cost, I’m also happy to gather and create a ready-to-go art kit for you. Please let me know if this is something that you’d like to discuss in more detail.
- No experience with art or art materials is required.
- The goal of this series is to co-create a self-care plan that feels interesting, helpful, realistic, and sustainable for you. And while I am a practicing Art Therapist, the sessions within this particular series will not be therapy sessions in a formal sense. They can certainly be an excellent introduction to the practice, theory, and possible applications of Art Therapy, but they will not be an opportunity to address and work through any specific issues or concerns. Having said that, I’m very happy to chat with you about other therapy-based options in terms of private and group sessions.
- This particular series is for private (one-on-one) sessions, but if you’re interested in something similar for groups please let me know. If you already have a group I’m happy to customize a series for you, or if you’d like to join a group of new folks and peers I may be offering similar group series this coming Spring.
ALL CONTENT © 2017 HEY SHAUNA ART THERAPY.
If you’re interested in receiving information about upcoming art therapy workshops, events, and promotions …sign up for my mailing list! I promise I won’t spam you, or share your information. If you have any particular questions that you’d like answered, please message me at firstname.lastname@example.org.