HEY SHAUNA ART THERAPY ABOUT
SHAUNA KAENDO – Art therapist and mixed media artist working and living in Vancouver (unceded territories of the xʷməθkwəy̓əm (Musqueam), Skwxwú7mesh (Squamish), and Səl̓ílwətaʔ/Selilwitulh (Tsleil-Waututh) peoples). I hold a BFA from Emily Carr University, and completed my Art Therapy training at the Vancouver Art Therapy Institute. I am an active member (and past Board Member) of the BC Art Therapy Association.
I LOVE THIS WORK and every minute that I am fortunate enough to do and share it. If you have ANY questions, please ask.
SHAUNA KAENDO | BFA, DVATI
Vancouver-based, certified art therapist
My approach as an art therapist is very much grounded in creative process, expression, and sensorial experience. Creative, body-based curiosity and art-making. Exploring art materials in different ways (both traditional and non-traditional) to see what they can do, how they behave in different combinations, and how those different materials and processes make us feel.
In finding creative ways to express and understand ourselves better, we are better able to imagine and make change in our lives and relationships (personal and professional), and to create more balance amidst our whirlwinds.
Full disclosure, I am a political therapist. I am not neutral. I am a human being with biases & values that will absolutely affect the “space” that we will work in together – and the ways that I will hold that space…. with generosity, but also accountability.
I REALLY love my job. I’m grateful and honored to be able to do this work… and am very much interested in supporting you in your work of healing. And to be very clear, the work of healing IS political.
In this role of therapist, supporter… of ally, accomplice, co-conspirator… I see the personal work of healing as inseparable from the work of anti-oppression, of anti-racism.
If this work of healing is something that you want to do together…
I can walk beside you. I can listen, bounce, pivot, and bumble with you. We can explore tools and processes that can support your movement into and through all of it. I will be in it with you, collaborating.
A critical piece of real change is looking at ourselves, our beliefs, our values, our behaviours… and our stories. And adjusting, even when it’s scary. Because it matters, and we care… about ourselves AND about each other.
SOME OF MY AREAS OF FOCUS
- Getting unstuck (overwhelmed, underwhelm, complacency)
- Nervous system regulation, grounding techniques
- Self-awareness, reflection & inquiry
- Women's support (empowerment, decisions around/considering childfree living, aging, peri/menopause, relationships)
- Burnout & compassion fatigue for caregivers (prevention & recovery)
- Creative blocks (artists, writers)
- Anxiety, depression, fatigue, shutdown
- Trauma-informed grounding & processing
- Anger, irritability, frustration, stress management
- Life transitions (big & small life changes, grief, loss)
- Developing a creative practice
ART THERAPY GIVES YOU AN OPPORTUNITY TO...
- Pause. With time, space, and support ...to notice how you're ACTUALLY feeling, to express that, and to work towards understanding it.
- Be supported through challenging life situations and transitions.
- Explore new ways of accessing and understanding your emotions, your body, and your needs.
- Discover and explore your strengths and capacity to imagine, initiate, and create change in your life.
- Explore and address your concerns through a combination of talk, art-making, movement & creative process.
- Learn how to access a creative process (and develop a creative practice) as a resource and ongoing support tool.
“As we engage the unconscious and imagination in creative process, we experience ourselves as active participants in life, explorers with the power to reshape our responses to our life stories – rather than victims of our circumstances”.
– DARIA HALPRIN
JOIN MY MAILING LIST
If you’d like to receive information about upcoming art therapy workshops, and some occasional what-have-you’s …sign up for my mailing list! I promise I won't spam you, or share your information.
JOIN MY PATREON COMMUNITY!
This is a subscription platform, and includes all sorts of affordable options and ways to engage in and support my work within and across communities of art and healing. It's also NEW, yay!
Grateful to be living on the unceded territories of the xʷməθkwəy̓əm (Musqueam), Skwxwú7mesh (Squamish), and Səl̓ílwətaʔ/Selilwitulh (Tsleil-Waututh) peoples. Thankful for their historical and ongoing stewardship of these beautiful lands. And honoured to move forward as an ally and co-conspirator in decolonization.