WHAT IT IS
This is a practice for those with some familiarity and experience with bilateral drawing (see my Workshops page for upcoming workshop dates).
It’s not that it’s a complicated process… not at all. At its most basic, it’s drawing with both hands. But it’s also a way to access FLOW, to attend to our nervous system health, to process difficult interactions, feelings, emotions, memories. It’s a space that we can create for ourselves to allow for integration ….of our experiences of thought, emotion, and body. Of all of the things we’re learning, unlearning, feeling, experiencing, avoiding, holding.
It can be as simple as focusing in on breath, music, and moving our hands and arms …getting out of our thinky brains and focusing in on the materials that we’re holding and using. The ways they look, sound, and feel. And it can be SO MUCH MORE than that.
This is a space and practice for those who are wanting to BUILD a practice …that’s creative, intentional, integrative, and regenerative. A way of supporting ourselves, IN community.
It can be hard to start new habits and routines on our own …even when we really WANT to do them. Particularly these days. So I’m hoping that this club …this community…. offers up some supportive accountability, knowing that there will be other faces and bodies showing up on specific days and times – to draw together. Sharing space in the ways that we can, and intention around carving out some time to make marks, move our bodies, express, process… create some ease.
Bilateral drawing such a beautiful tool and resource for accessing and connecting our (whole) brain and body… through rhythm, repetition, and drawing with both hands. To let go of WHAT we’re making & just MAKE marks. It’s a way that we can express and explore what we’re feeling – release it, give shape to it, allow it to transform. It’s a place to put it, and sit with it, without needing to intellectualize it. Without needing to make sense of it. But instead just allowing ourselves to feel what we feel.
WHAT TO EXPECT
- An online space to show up and draw together, making a habit of it.
- Way less structure/instruction than a workshop. No chatting. Just music, drawing, and a few interspersed prompts from me. (If you’re looking for a more engaging experience, I run LOTS of ongoing workshops & groups).
- All sessions are 30 minutes long.
- You don’t need to stop at 30 minutes …that’s when I will end the meeting, but you can keep going!
- I will try to open up the Zoom meeting 5 minutes early each day, to give you some set-up time in case of technical issues.
- You just show up and draw.
- I will always have music playing for us.
- Please keep your microphone muted.
- I will be drawing along with you.
- You can come and go as you please.
- I will give you a time check at about 25 minutes in, so that you know when we’re in our last 5 minutes before the session ends.
- That’s it. So simple. And such a nourishing practice …I hope you love it as much as I do.
WHERE TO START
You can either jump in and just go for it, or you MAY want to participate in my Intro to Bilateral Drawing workshop before joining this drawing club. If you’re not seeing an upcoming date please let me know you’re interested and I’ll add you to my list!
Registration is by donation! (suggested $10-$35/month)
- This is not a subscription that will automatically renew, you will need to re-register for each month that you’d like to participate.
- Monthly membership (based on the calendar month, not 30 days from when you sign up).
- You can register anytime throughout the month!
This is the current schedule for January… PLEASE NOTE that I will be making some changes to this that will start in February.
All sessions are 30 minutes long, and online (Zoom):
- Mondays 6-6:30pm PDT
- Tuesdays 12-12:30pm PDT
- Thursdays 9-9:30am PDT
- Sundays 12-12:30pm PDT
With a monthly membership you will have access to all of these sessions each month. Come to all of them, or just some. Whatever works for you!
Time zone converter (for those of you in other parts of the world!).
You can register through Eventbrite, or contact me if you’d prefer to pay by either e-transfer or Paypal.
In addition to the online drawing sessions, you will get access to a private page on my website, with:
- Tips for how to set-up your space for bilateral drawing.
- Suggestions for art materials to use & gather.
- Prompts to think about before & during the drawing sessions.
- Playlist links (via Spotify).
- Updated Zoom link (and password) each month.
JOIN MY MAILING LIST
Sign up if you’d like to receive information about upcoming art therapy workshops, and some occasional what-have-you’s!
If you're able, I'd love it if you'd join my Patreon community in support of my Healing Fund! All proceeds collected go towards free private art therapy and/or group workshops for folks who need the support but who can't afford the expense.