HEY SHAUNA ART THERAPY ONLINE WORKSHOPS
If you’d like to receive notifications as new dates are added, you can subscribe to my Eventbrite page by clicking the blue “Follow” button. Otherwise you can keep an eye on this page, my Instagram (@heyheyshauna), or join my mailing list.
ALSO, for those of you in other parts of the world, here is a handy Time Zone Converter Tool.
BILATERAL DRAWING CLUB
1-month membership (unlimited)
You do NOT need any experience with bilateral drawing to participate in this drawing club, this practice… this creative care community. I’ve added a BUNCH of information to my BDC page to help prepare you for these sessions… including suggestions for setting up your drawing space, prompts (for before, during, after), and what to expect in the sessions.
Much more info on my BDC page.
Mondays 12pm PST
Tuesdays 3pm PST
Fridays 10am PST
Sundays 12pm PST
All sessions are 30 min.
Time Zone Converter
With a membership you have access to all sessions each month (from the moment that you register). Come to all of them, or just some!
SLOW WATERCOLOUR + MEANDERING CHAPBOOKS
Sunday Feb 12 & 19
Part 1: (Feb 12)
We’ll start with exploring mark-making with a light touch, SLOW, less controlled… making marks across multiple sheets of paper, holding our materials differently, travelling across the page differently. Slow as a space that we can give ourselves to pause, express, process, integrate, regenerate. Slow as a space to be curious about.
Part 2: (Feb 19)
Working with the piece(s) from the first week, we’ll walk through a couple of chapbook (mini book) folding/cutting processes, and then continue our mark-making on/with our transformed objects …having a meander in and around the different pages, and reframed terrain.
CREATIVE CARE FOR NEURODIVERGENT FOLKS
This is a therapy support group for folks (adults) who identify as Neurodivergent (with or without a formal diagnosis). We will be sharing stories, experiences, time, space, resources, strategies …and taking some practical steps towards building CREATIVE CARE PRACTICES to support ourselves and each other.
It is a space to allow yourself to be vulnerable, supported, seen & heard. A space where we can be our gloriously divergent selves. IN community.
I have TWO separate groups starting up in January 2023…
Saturdays, Jan 14-Mar 11 *new start date!
$540 CAD (plus gst), 9-wk series
Tuesdays, Jan 10-Mar 7
$540 CAD (plus gst), 9-wk series
- 9 online (Zoom) group sessions
- Free access to Bilateral Drawing Club (Jan, Feb, Mar)
- Shared resources page (books, podcasts, art/writing prompts…)
- Access to group conversation on Signal
- 20% discount on all of my online workshops for 6 months (Jan-Jun inclusive).This includes single workshops and series (but excludes BDC, which is a by-donation membership).
CRUSHING ROCKS & COLOUR NUBS
In this workshop, we’ll be crushing …smashing, smudging, mucking with …our leftover (or intentionally created) nubs of pastels, crayons, dried paint chunks. With a rock.
We’ll also be reframing some of the stuff that comes up around this sort of process …perfectionism, preciousness of art materials, productivity, what it means to CRUSH something …how it FEELS to crush something.
Saturday Jan 21, 1-3pm PST
For the duration of this thing that we’re all in the midst of, my workshops will be offered online ONLY, on the Zoom platform.
PLEASE NOTE that my workshops will NOT be recorded, so if you miss it I won’t be able to send it to you later. You have to show up! Groups are small, personal, and interactive.
- Once you’ve registered through Eventbrite, you will receive all info that you’ll need to access the workshop on Zoom.
- Groups are small (max 8-10 people) & interactive. This means that everyone who attends is visible (via Zoom), and participates in the shared conversation & art-making.
- Workshops are for adults only (18+).
- Because this is all happening online, you will need to provide your own art materials. I list all req’d materials (and suggestions for alternatives) on the Eventbrite page, so please check that list BEFORE registering to be sure that you have what you’ll need to participate.
- PLEASE NOTE that my workshops will NOT be recorded, so if you miss it I won’t be able to send it to you later.
- Groups are informal, chatty, and very much about sharing time and space …stories, experiences, thoughts, frustrations, and what-have-you’s.
- A list of materials required for each workshop will be listed in the event description (please check before registering). I will also include ideas for alternative materials.
- See my Art Materials page for lists of suggested materials to get you started.
A FEW NOTES...
- If you’d like a visual glimpse into what we get up to in my workshops please visit me on Instagram.
- You needn’t have ANY experience with art or art materials to participate (and benefit from) any of my workshops.
- Groups are small… they are also generous, warm, supportive, and easily among my favourite things.
- In all of my workshops, our focus is on exploring different art materials in lots of different ways …and noticing how those different materials and processes make us feel. And while I am here for any technical assistance you may need, our goal is not to focus on technical skill…but instead on curiosity.
- PLEASE NOTE that workshop registrations are refundable within 3 days only …otherwise, they are transferrable so if you can’t make it, send a friend!
PRIVATE GROUP BOOKINGS
All of my workshops are available for private group bookings!
Maybe my existing dates don’t work for you, or you just want to (virtually) gather a gaggle of pals or co-workers together for a fun couple of hours of something new! I offer lots of different ongoing group workshops, and can also customize something special for your group.
- I will be posting each workshop on Eventbrite (which allows for credit/debit payment).
- BUT if you would prefer to pay by e-transfer, please go ahead and do that (send to Shauna Kaendofirstname.lastname@example.org). Once I’ve received your payment, you will receive confirmation (and reminders) through Eventbrite. If you choose this option, please send me an email to confirm your name, email, and e-transfer details.
Trying my best to bend and shape workshop content, conversations, processes to support us all in finding creative ways to navigate these bonkers times.
My workshops address different (but related) aspects of noticing, managing and processing all of the stuff …the new stuff, the old stuff, the stuck stuff. Things that are coming up amid this crisis that we find ourselves navigating… historical and ongoing oppressions… uprisings of awareness, the unsettling that’s happening in our bodies. Some of the things are BIG (and complex, and existential) and some are small …like, how the heck to get through each day.
In my groups we will be looking at ways to ground ourselves, calm our nervous systems, make space for ALL of the emotions and responses, and ways that we can EXPRESS all of it. We’ll practice slowing down, pausing, noticing, reframing, being curious, taking up space, sitting with discomfort, and digging in.
SOME PREVIOUS WORKSHOPS...
SLOW STITCH & WATER-MAPPING
This workshop will incorporate slow-stitching as a mindful & meditative creative practice …with a conversation about water, how we locate ourselves in, on, and near water… physically & emotionally.
I’ll walk you through some slow-stitch basics, and a few water-inspired prompts …we’ll have time for a check-in, some music accompanied making/stitching, and a check-out.
PATCHWORK, VISIBLE MENDING & AUTONOMY
We will explore “visible mending” as a metaphor for considering our flaws, broken bits & wounds. Adorning our imperfections. Strengthening our understanding of our needs, and supporting (and reinforcing) our capacities to repair and connect …and find our voices. Patchwork as a creative and regenerative practice of self care.
GETTING UNSTUCK: STEPPING INTO OUR VALUES
We will explore ways that we can show up in our lives that feel in alignment with our beliefs. That feel supportive and supported… in our relationships, communities, and our BODIES. Ways that we can be fueled by our values, not our fears. Ways that we can move forward with curiosity and creativity.
COMMUNITY STITCH, PAUSE, INTEGRATE
Slow-stitching. Hunkering in to some self & collective pause & integration. Focusing in on how we’re managing to make the space for the pauses, and reprieves – the moments that we need to regenerate ….to integrate all that we’re learning (and unlearning). Showing up for and stepping into community care; pausing to breathe; regeneration; integration; asking each other questions; sharing stories; talking about what’s working and what’s not; and MAKING while we do it.
This workshop is NOT about drawing, painting (or otherwise creating) a picture of what your body looks like, or how it’s shaped. What you will make isn’t going to look like you. This workshop IS about pausing & giving some thought to our bodies as experiential. Being curious about the ways we can translate and express the experience of being in our bodies onto paper. Into the ways that we make marks, and engage with shapes …with layering, and connecting. Being curious about the different ways we can use our art materials… whatever we have… to explore sensation, colour, tension, movement, discomfort, stillness, breath, shifting, emotion… anything, big or small, that we FEEL.
We spend so much time thinking about how we SHOULD feel… and comparatively little on how we actually DO feel. So that’s what this will be. A conversation of sorts with your body.
We’ll be exploring different art materials and processes… reframing some old stories about what rest is… getting creative and curious about what it can look like, feel like, be like. Imagining and maintaining a practice of CREATIVE REST. …understanding rest as a creative practice …understanding care (for self & community) as a creative practice.
We’ll be exploring different art materials and processes each week, chatting and working with the theme of CREATIVE INTEGRATION. Making space, and building creative practices to support us in and through ALL that’s going on …in the world, our lives, our relationships, our bodies. So that we can keep showing up for all of the things we care about, with creativity and curiosity.
STITCH, PAUSE, SLOW the EFF DOWN
We’ll be exploring slow-stitch (intuitive embroidery) with leaves that you’ve gathered outside before our session together. We’ll practice noticing sound, texture, and how we FEEL. We’ll practice understanding SLOW as a space that we can give ourselves to pause, express, process, integrate, regenerate.
AT PEER GROUP
5-week series | 1.5 hr sessions
PLEASE NOTE: You must be a practicing art therapist OR art therapy student to join this group.
Informal chats about things like: the business parts of being in private practice, self-care & burnout prevention, facilitating online sessions and workshops, imposter syndrome, personal politics & values …and busting out of some of the problematic norms of the therapeutic field …the therapist as expert, neutral, unbiased, unpolitical.
“As we engage the unconscious and imagination in creative process, we experience ourselves as active participants in life, explorers with the power to reshape our responses to our life stories – rather than victims of our circumstances”.
– DARIA HALPRIN
JOIN MY MAILING LIST
Sign up if you’d like to receive information about upcoming art therapy workshops, and some occasional what-have-you’s!
If you're able, I'd love it if you'd join my Patreon community in support of my Healing Fund! All proceeds collected go towards free private art therapy and/or group workshops for folks who need the support but who can't afford the expense.