HEY SHAUNA ART THERAPY PRIVATE SESSIONS
Time and space to spend creating art (with or without purpose, or a project in mind), checking in with where you’re at, discussing goals/issues/concerns, and having some time to pause and reflect on it all. Please note that I work with adults only. If you are looking for support for a child/youth I would be happy to make a recommendation.
Online sessions are on the Zoom platform. Once I’ve received your booking/payment I will reach out to chat about art materials if this is our first remote session together, and send the information you’ll need to access the session on Zoom.
I’m not currently offering my tent/studio sessions …but am reopening some spots up for Walk + Talk and Beacon Hill sessions (both outdoors, but not in my tent).
More information as we get closer to being able to safely do this again.
These sessions can be either outdoor (immediately) or indoor (when we’re able to do that again) – at your home. Maybe you’re living with challenges related to mobility (disability, pain, transportation), immune system compromise …a challenging schedule… or maybe you just have a beautiful back yard and you don’t want to leave it!
My approach to art therapy is grounded in creative process, expression, and sensorial experience. Creative, body-based curiosity and art-making. My practice is informed by anti-oppressive, feminist, and queer values. Exploring art materials and art-making …creating, mucking about, pausing, noticing, regenerating, integrating. Some sessions will be spent working on a particular project, and others will be spent (literally) mucking about and making a mess.
WHAT TO EXPECT
- Sessions are a combination of talk therapy, art-making (with a focus on creative process over final product), and sometimes movement.
- No experience with art or art materials is required, and you needn’t consider yourself “artistic” or “creative” to participate and benefit.
- This is time that’s dedicated to just you, to intentionally & collaboratively explore different materials and processes – and to notice how they make you FEEL, in your body, right now. To help you get a clearer sense of where you’re at, what you want, and to enlist your imagination in creating the changes that you’re looking for.
- You might begin a session knowing exactly what you’d like to work with and/or talk about, or you might not. You might have an idea or issue that you’d like to explore – or maybe you don’t, and maybe it’s taken all that you have to just show up. Any which way – I’m here, with you – to guide & collaborate & keep & hold this space for you.
- There is no formula, no typical session …each day, each session will be different.
- Things will absolutely come up for you through the different processes that we will explore together, but I will not be making any diagnoses or interpretations based on the art that you make, or how you make it.
- This is a space and opportunity for you to explore, pause, reflect, be curious, and to make your own interpretations of what might come up (and out) for you.
- Our time together is confidential, respectful, and collaborative.
Visit my RATES page for details.
- Sessions can be booked online: heyshauna.janeapp.com (or by emailing me, firstname.lastname@example.org)
- All sessions must be pre-paid before the scheduled appointment (by e-transfer for those within Canada OR Paypal for those outside of Canada: to email@example.com).
- Once I’ve received payment, I will send you a link and password for our scheduled Zoom session OR will send you detailed directions for our outdoor meeting spot.
I have a 24 hr cancellation policy. Missed appointments and appointments that are cancelled with less than 24 hrs notice are charged the full session fee (or a cancellation fee in cases of emergency).
COVID NOTE: If you are feeling ill in any way, please let me know and we will cancel or postpone your session to another day (with NO cancellation fee).
I offer a free 20 min consultation for those exploring their options and feeling curious about art therapy. It’s important to feel that both a therapy modality and therapist are a good fit! Consultations are by phone, Zoom, or Skype.
Do take me up on my sliding scale rates if you need them.
Do allow yourself to be supported in & through all of this.
The old stuff, the new stuff. All the stuff.
I have a limited number of spaces available for sliding scale rate options, please reach out if this is of interest to you.
SOME OF MY AREAS OF FOCUS
- Nurturing body-based creative curiosity
- Getting unstuck (overwhelm, underwhelm, complacency)
- Nervous system health, grounding practices
- Self-awareness, reflection, curiosity, growth
- Living in alignment with personal values
- Social activism, self & collective care
- Women's support (empowerment, decisions around/considering childfree living, the aging body, peri/menopause)
- Burnout & compassion fatigue for caregivers (prevention & recovery)
- Creative blocks (artists, writers, creatives)
- Anxiety, depression, fatigue, shutdown
- Trauma-informed grounding & processing
- Anger, irritability, frustration, stress management
- Developing (or re-igniting) a creative practice
ART THERAPY GIVES YOU AN OPPORTUNITY TO...
- Pause - with time, space, and support.
- Notice how you're ACTUALLY feeling (not how you should feel). To allow yourself to feel what you feel, without judgement. And to work towards understanding that differently.
- Explore different ways to be present and aware in your body, in discomfort, in transition - mindfully and with generosity.
- Create some space for regeneration, integration, and growth.
- Learn and integrate small (meaningful) ways to show up for yourself, and build self-trust.
- See and support your strength and capacity to imagine, initiate, and create change in your life.
- Explore a collaborative to approach to the work of personal healing - through a combination of talk, art-making, creative process, movement, and somatic awareness.
Author Ursula Le Guin describes our imaginations as the single most useful tool that we possess – a tool that we have to learn how to use, “to invent our lives, make them up, imagine them” – that the learning, teaching, and exercising of our imaginations is something foundational to our basic life skills “for growth, for health, for competence, for joy”.
JOIN MY MAILING LIST
Sign up if you’d like to receive information about upcoming art therapy workshops, and some occasional what-have-you’s!
If you're able, I'd love it if you'd join my Patreon community in support of my Healing Fund! All proceeds collected go towards free private art therapy and/or group workshops for folks who need the support but who can't afford the expense.