HEY SHAUNA ART THERAPY PRIVATE SESSIONS
PRIVATE 1:1 SESSIONS
PLEASE NOTE that I work with adults only. If you are looking for support for a child/youth I would be happy to make a recommendation.
Art therapy is a combination of talk therapy and art-making… mucking about with art materials, and words, and ideas, and emotions to see how they make you feel. To see how they can bend, and move, and intersect. We’ll dig in. We’ll pause, and express, and notice. We’ll make some space for all of it to unfold, and be. Some space (literal and metaphorical) to breathe – to make a mess, to see, to ask questions, to let yourself feel what you feel… and move through it towards a different sort of understanding. Space for a different kind of conversation, one that enlists creativity and curiosity in understanding YOUR lived experience – in the world, and in your body. A movement forward. Unstuck.
Online sessions are held on Zoom. Once I’ve received your booking/payment I will reach out by email with the information you’ll need to access the session on Zoom.
Also, with these sessions taking place online you will need to provide your own art materials. This is something that we can talk about in more detail via email or phone prior to your first session. See my Art Materials page for suggestions.
Outdoor sessions are available in Victoria (View Royal, in the vicinity of Portage Park), there are a few beautiful park and seaside cove spots to choose from nearby. You can email me to chat about options in advance if you like – and I will also reach out to you after receiving your booking to discuss the specifics, and send a map link.
I will provide the art materials, and a thermos of tea!
PLEASE NOTE: That I am super flexible with outdoor session cancellations around weather conditions …if it’s raining or otherwise miserable out, you are NOT obligated to keep the appointment. We will chat as the date approaches and decide together!
I’m still pondering this, more information soon.
These sessions can be either outdoor (in your yard) or indoor (in your home). Maybe you’re living with challenges related to mobility (disability, pain, transportation), immune system compromise …a challenging schedule… or maybe you just have a beautiful back yard and you don’t want to leave it!
My approach to art therapy is very much rooted in the conversation of Neurodiversity …we’re all different. What is YOUR experience in the world, in your life, in your relationships, in your body …in any given moment. I will support you in learning how to practice noticing what that is, understanding it differently, and building creative care practices to support yourself in all of it.
We’ll chat, we’ll work with different art materials and processes/ways of using them …creating, mucking about, pausing, noticing, regenerating, integrating. Some sessions will be spent working on a particular project, and others will be spent (literally) mucking about and making a mess.
WHAT TO EXPECT
- This work is collaborative, and it is a practice.
- Sessions are a combination of talk therapy, art-making (with a focus on creative process over product), and sometimes movement.
- No experience with art or art materials is required, and you needn’t consider yourself “artistic” or “creative” to participate and benefit.
- This is time that’s dedicated to just you, to intentionally & collaboratively explore different materials and processes – and to notice how they make you FEEL, in your body, right now. To help you get a clearer sense of where you’re at, what you want, and to enlist your imagination in creating the changes that you’re looking for.
- You might begin a session knowing exactly what you’d like to work with and/or talk about, or you might not. You might have an idea or issue that you’d like to explore – or maybe you don’t, and maybe it’s taken all that you have to just show up. Any which way – I’m here, with you – to guide & collaborate & keep & hold this space for you.
- There is no formula, no typical session …each day, each session will be different.
- Things will absolutely come up for you through the different processes that we will explore together, but I will not be making any diagnoses or interpretations based on the art that you make, or how you make it.
- This is a space and opportunity for you to explore, pause, reflect, be curious, and to make your own interpretations of what might come up (and out) for you.
- Our time together is confidential, respectful, and collaborative.
Visit my RATES page for details.
- Sessions can be booked online: heyshauna.janeapp.com (or by emailing me, firstname.lastname@example.org)
- I accept payment by e-transfer, credit card, and Paypal.
- All sessions must be pre-paid before the scheduled appointment (by e-transfer for those within Canada OR Paypal for those outside of Canada: to email@example.com).
- Once I’ve received payment, I will send you a link and password for our scheduled Zoom session OR will send you detailed directions for our outdoor meeting spot.
I have a 24 hr cancellation policy. Missed appointments and appointments that are cancelled with less than 24 hrs notice are charged the full session fee (with the exception of illness/emergency).
I offer a free 20 min consultation for those exploring their options and feeling curious about art therapy. It’s important to feel that both a therapy modality and therapist are a good fit! Consultations are by phone or Zoom.
Do take me up on my sliding scale rates if you need them.
Do allow yourself to be supported in & through all of this.
The old stuff, the new stuff. All the stuff.
I have a limited number of spaces available for sliding scale rate options, please reach out if this is of interest to you.
SOME OF MY AREAS OF FOCUS
- Building practices of body-based creative curiosity
- Getting unstuck (overwhelm, underwhelm, complacency)
- Nervous system health, grounding practices
- Living in alignment with personal values
- Social activism, self & collective care, liberatory practices
- Women's support (empowerment, decisions around/considering childfree living, the aging body, peri/menopause)
- Burnout & compassion fatigue for caregivers (prevention & recovery)
- Creative blocks (artists, writers, creatives)
- Anxiety, depression, fatigue, shutdown
- Trauma-informed grounding & processing
- Anger, irritability, frustration, stress management
- Developing (or re-igniting) a creative practice
ART THERAPY GIVES YOU AN OPPORTUNITY TO...
- Pause - with time, space, and support.
- Learn how to notice how you're ACTUALLY feeling in any given moment, how the world (and it's sensory information) is affecting you - not how you should feel, but how you DO feel. Without judgement, without fixing... learning how to understand your experience differently.
- Explore different ways to be present and aware in your body, in discomfort, in transition - with creativity and curiosity.
- Create some space for regeneration, integration... learning, and unlearning.
- Learn and integrate small practices to help you to show up for yourself, and build self-trust.
- Build capacity to imagine, initiate, and create change in your life.
- Explore a collaborative approach to the work of personal healing - through a combination of talk, art-making, creative process, movement, and somatic awareness.
Author Ursula Le Guin describes our imaginations as the single most useful tool that we possess – a tool that we have to learn how to use, “to invent our lives, make them up, imagine them” – that the learning, teaching, and exercising of our imaginations is something foundational to our basic life skills “for growth, for health, for competence, for joy”.
JOIN MY MAILING LIST
Sign up if you’d like to receive information about upcoming art therapy workshops, and some occasional what-have-you’s!
If you're able, I'd love it if you'd join my Patreon community in support of my Healing Fund! All proceeds collected go towards free private art therapy and/or group workshops for folks who need the support but who can't afford the expense.