HEY SHAUNA ART THERAPY PRIVATE SESSIONS
I’m currently offering online (Zoom) & telephone sessions only.
I am also very aware that not everyone is able to shift over to online sessions – with issues around privacy being a real thing when self-isolating & practicing social distancing. If this is you, please reach out and we can chat about options. Support in these BONKERS times doesn’t have to look any one way… we can approach this creatively, and with imagination.
AND, there’s the cost – particularly in light of many of us losing our jobs. I will continue to offer my sliding scale fee options, as well as further discounts to those that need it. Please take me up on this. Our mental health is important. Reach out, receive support – you’re not alone.
Private art therapy sessions are dedicated to just you. Time and space to spend creating art (with or without purpose, or a project in mind), checking in with where you’re at, discussing goals/issues/concerns, and having some time to pause and reflect on it all.
My personal approach as an art therapist is very much grounded in creative process. Exploring art materials in different ways (both traditional and non-traditional) to see what they can do, how they behave in different combinations, and how those different materials and processes make you feel. Some sessions will be spent working on a particular project, and others will be spent (literally) mucking about and making a mess.
WHAT TO EXPECT
in a private (one-on-one) art therapy session:
- Private sessions are a combination of talk therapy and art-making (with a focus on creative process over final product).
- No experience with art or art materials is required, and you needn’t consider yourself “artistic” or “creative” to participate and benefit.
- This is time that’s dedicated to just you, to intentionally & collaboratively explore different materials and processes – and to notice how they make you FEEL, in your body, right now. To help you get a clearer sense of what you want & need, and to enlist your imagination in creating the changes that you’re looking for.
- You might arrive knowing exactly what you’d like to work with and/or talk about, or you might not. You might have an idea or issue that you’d like to explore – or maybe you don’t, and maybe it’s taken all that you have to just show up. Any which way – I’m here, with you – to guide & collaborate & keep & hold this space for you.
- There is no formula, no typical session …each day, each session will be different.
- Things will absolutely come up for you through the different processes that we will explore together, but I will not be making any diagnoses or interpretations based on the art that you make, or how you make it.
- This is a space and opportunity for you to explore, pause, reflect, be curious, and to make your own interpretations of what might come up (and out) for you.
- Our time together is confidential, respectful, and collaborative.
- I work primarily with adults. If you are looking for support for a child/youth I would be happy to make a recommendation.
With all private sessions happening either online (Zoom) or telephone at the moment, I’ve adjusted my options:
60 min: $125 (regular session – 1st session is $50, details below)
30 min: $65 (more of a check-in)
AND, a reminder that I’m very happy to offer sliding scale fees (with extra bend-ability given the state of things).
If you need the help, just ask.
Do take me up on this.
Do allow yourself to be supported in & through all of this.
The old stuff, the new stuff. All the stuff.
1 hr: $50 | 1.5 hr: $75
Something that I feel keenly aware of is the inherent stress and cost of finding a new therapist or counsellor. And potentially booking several one-time sessions with different therapists before finding a right fit. It’s a pickle… wanting to respect someone’s profession and time, but also not wanting to be financially strained before you really even begin to dig into a new therapeutic relationship. PLEASE NOTE: These rates are for FIRST sessions only.
I’m currently offering online (Zoom) & telephone sessions only.
I offer a free 20 min consultation for those exploring their options, and feeling curious about art therapy. It’s important to feel that both a therapy modality and therapist are a good fit! Consultations are by phone, or Zoom.
I’m very happy to offer sliding scale rate options – PLEASE don’t be shy to reach out if this is something that you’re interested in. Life can be bonkers expensive, and it’s important to me that my services be accessible to those that are interested.
I am waiving my cancellation fees for the time being. But would very much appreciate any notice that you can give me if you’re unable to make it for a scheduled session.
I have a 24 hour cancellation policy. Missed appointments, and appointments that are cancelled with less than 24 hour notice are charged the full session fee (or a cancellation fee in cases of illness or emergency).
SOME OF MY AREAS OF FOCUS
- Self-care, life balance
- Women's support (empowerment, decisions around/considering childfree living, aging, peri/menopause, relationships)
- Burnout and compassion fatigue for caregivers (prevention & recovery)
- Creative blocks (artists, writers)
- Feeling stuck (overwhelmed, underwhelmed, paralyzed, scared)
- Anxiety, depression
- Stress management, anger
- Transition (big & small life changes, grief, loss)
- Developing a creative practice
ART THERAPY GIVES YOU AN OPPORTUNITY TO...
- Pause. With time, space, and support ...to discover clarity around what you want.
- Be supported through challenging life situations and changes.
- Explore new ways of accessing and understanding your emotions, your body, and your needs.
- Discover and explore your strengths and capacity to initiate and create change in your life.
- Explore and address your concerns through a combination of talk, art-making, and creative process.
- Learn how to access creative process (and develop a creative practice) as a resource and ongoing support tool.
Author Ursula Le Guin describes our imaginations as the single most useful tool that we possess – a tool that we have to learn how to use, “to invent our lives, make them up, imagine them” – that the learning, teaching, and exercising of our imaginations is something foundational to our basic life skills “for growth, for health, for competence, for joy”.
JOIN MY MAILING LIST
If you’d like to receive information about upcoming art therapy workshops, and some occasional what-have-you’s …sign up for my mailing list!
I promise I won’t spam you, or share your information.
Grateful to be living and working on the unceded territory of the Coast Salish peoples - xʷməθkwəy̓əm (Musqueam), Skwxwú7mesh (Squamish), and Səl̓ílwətaʔ/Selilwitulh (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations.