HEY SHAUNA ART THERAPY PRIVATE SESSIONS
Private art therapy sessions are dedicated to just you. Time and space to spend creating art (with or without purpose, or a project in mind), checking in with where you’re at, discussing goals/issues/concerns, and having some time to pause and reflect on it all. Please note that I work with adults only. If you are looking for support for a child/youth I would be happy to make a recommendation.
ONLINE & OUTDOOR SESSIONS
Online sessions are on the Zoom platform. It’s very easy to install and access. Once I’ve received your booking/payment I will reach out to chat about art materials if this is our first remote session together!
Outdoor sessions are held in Stanley Park in my portable art therapy studio (cabin tent), in a location close to Second Beach (the ocean, trees, public transit, parking, and public washrooms)! Upon booking I will send along detailed directions and map links.
My approach to art therapy is grounded in creative process, expression, and sensorial experience. Creative, body-based curiosity and art-making. My practice is informed by anti-oppressive, feminist, and queer values. Being curious about everything. Exploring art materials and art-making with intentions based in well-being. To explore the relationship between creating, mucking about, pausing, noticing …and how we FEEL. Some sessions will be spent working on a particular project, and others will be spent (literally) mucking about and making a mess.
WHAT TO EXPECT
- Sessions are a combination of talk therapy, art-making (with a focus on creative process over final product), and sometimes movement.
- No experience with art or art materials is required, and you needn’t consider yourself “artistic” or “creative” to participate and benefit.
- This is time that’s dedicated to just you, to intentionally & collaboratively explore different materials and processes – and to notice how they make you FEEL, in your body, right now. To help you get a clearer sense of where you’re at, what you want, and to enlist your imagination in creating the changes that you’re looking for.
- You might begin a session knowing exactly what you’d like to work with and/or talk about, or you might not. You might have an idea or issue that you’d like to explore – or maybe you don’t, and maybe it’s taken all that you have to just show up. Any which way – I’m here, with you – to guide & collaborate & keep & hold this space for you.
- There is no formula, no typical session …each day, each session will be different.
- Things will absolutely come up for you through the different processes that we will explore together, but I will not be making any diagnoses or interpretations based on the art that you make, or how you make it.
- This is a space and opportunity for you to explore, pause, reflect, be curious, and to make your own interpretations of what might come up (and out) for you.
- Our time together is confidential, respectful, and collaborative.
60 min: $125
90 min: $150
30 min: $65 (check-in)
Sliding scale rates also available, more information below.
60 min: $75 | 90 min: $100
Something that I feel keenly aware of is the inherent stress and cost of finding a new therapist or counsellor. And potentially booking several one-time sessions with different therapists before finding a right fit. It’s a pickle… wanting to respect someone’s profession and time, but also not wanting to be financially strained before you really even begin to dig into a new therapeutic relationship. PLEASE NOTE: These rates are for FIRST sessions only.
I have a 24 hour cancellation policy. Missed appointments, and appointments that are cancelled with less than 24 hour notice are charged the full session fee (or a cancellation fee in cases of emergency).
PLEASE NOTE: If you are feeling ill in any way, please let me know and we will cancel or postpone your session to another day (with NO cancellation fee).
I offer a free 20 min consultation for those exploring their options, and feeling curious about art therapy. It’s important to feel that both a therapy modality and therapist are a good fit! Consultations are by phone, or Zoom.
Do take me up on my sliding scale rates if you need them.
Do allow yourself to be supported in & through all of this.
The old stuff, the new stuff. All the stuff.
I have a limited number of spaces available for sliding scale rate options, please reach out if this is of interest to you.
Here’s how it works…
- Sessions can be booked online: heyshauna.janeapp.com (or by emailing me, firstname.lastname@example.org)
- All sessions must be pre-paid before the scheduled appointment (by e-transfer for those within Canada OR Paypal for those outside of Canada paypal.me/heyshauna).
- Once I’ve received payment, I will send you a link and password for our scheduled Zoom session or be in touch to make a plan for an outdoor meeting spot.
- You don’t need to provide any sort of proof of financial need …just pay whatever you can within the sliding scale range for each session length.
- We don’t need to talk about it – just send the amount that you can. Because talking about (and worrying about) money sucks. And we have more important and pressing things to get into.
SOME OF MY AREAS OF FOCUS
- Getting unstuck (overwhelm, underwhelm, complacency)
- Nervous system regulation, grounding techniques
- Self-awareness, reflection & curiosity
- Women's support (empowerment, decisions around/considering childfree living, aging, peri/menopause, relationships)
- Burnout & compassion fatigue for caregivers (prevention & recovery)
- Creative blocks (artists, writers)
- Anxiety, depression, fatigue, shutdown
- Trauma-informed grounding & processing
- Anger, irritability, frustration, stress management
- Life transitions (big & small life changes, grief, loss)
- Developing a creative practice
ART THERAPY GIVES YOU AN OPPORTUNITY TO...
- Pause. With time, space, and support ...to notice how you're ACTUALLY feeling, to express that, and to work towards understanding it.
- Be supported through challenging life situations and transitions.
- Explore new ways of accessing and understanding your emotions, your body, and your needs.
- Discover and explore your strengths and capacity to imagine, initiate, and create change in your life.
- Explore and address your concerns through a combination of talk, art-making, movement & creative process.
- Learn how to access a creative process (and develop a creative practice) as a resource and ongoing support tool.
Author Ursula Le Guin describes our imaginations as the single most useful tool that we possess – a tool that we have to learn how to use, “to invent our lives, make them up, imagine them” – that the learning, teaching, and exercising of our imaginations is something foundational to our basic life skills “for growth, for health, for competence, for joy”.
JOIN MY MAILING LIST
If you’d like to receive information about upcoming art therapy workshops, and some occasional what-have-you’s …sign up for my mailing list! I promise I won't spam you, or share your information.
JOIN MY PATREON COMMUNITY!
This is a subscription platform, and includes all sorts of affordable options and ways to engage in and support my work within and across communities of art and healing. It's also NEW, yay!
Grateful to be living on the unceded territories of the xʷməθkwəy̓əm (Musqueam), Skwxwú7mesh (Squamish), and Səl̓ílwətaʔ/Selilwitulh (Tsleil-Waututh) peoples. Thankful for their historical and ongoing stewardship of these beautiful lands. And honoured to move forward as an ally and co-conspirator in decolonization.