Working collaboratively on projects that support & contribute to local community & gumption. Web solutions for the arts, non-profit & independent business communities.
CREATING A WEBSITE
is best approached as a collaborative effort. Sure, you CAN do it by yourself using one of the gazillion free templates that you can find on the internet…and then you’d have a great new website that only took you a billion hours to build, and that looks like you used a free template from the internet. Or, we can do it together.
I can help you to simplify the process of organizing your thoughts, needs, materials…and manifesting all of that into a website that works. For the web, and for you. I’ll help guide you through the sometimes complicated, sometimes overwhelming process of summarizing what YOU do into a nifty package of internet goodness.
MY APPROACH TO DESIGN
is to keep things clean, calm and spacious.
I will help you to negotiate the best ways to achieve the aesthetic that you want (and that represents you, and your project), along with the functionality that will make your site both easy to use, and lovely to look at…for you, and your intended market and community.
I will help you to organize your content in a way that makes sense, that is easy to access (and maintain), and that approaches all of that as part of the visual oomph of your site. Creative and strategic placement of content, and navigation through the different pages and pockets of your project…are a huge part of your site’s visual impact. That, and your favourite colours.
ALL OF MY SITES
are built with WordPress, and include an intuitive CMS (Content Management System) that allows you to update your site content super easily through an online administrative panel accessible through any web browser. I will include a tutorial for using your administrative panel so that you’re able to maintain and update your own content if that’s something you’re interested in doing.
I am also available for ongoing updates to your site content (for the things you can’t or don’t want to do yourself) on an hourly or retainer basis.
If you have ANY questions at all, please don’t be shy to pipe up and ask…
Founder & designer at Hey Shauna Studio. I am a web designer AND an art therapist. And this combination of two very different types of studio work and practice strikes a lovely balance for me.
I hold a BFA from Emily Carr University, and I completed my Art Therapy training at the Vancouver Art Therapy Institute – both on Granville Island in Vancouver. I have been building websites for about 14 years, and have lots of experience happily flailing about within the arts & small business communities …and an enormous fondness for all things independent and inspired.
This would be for something quite small. For some this is a good starting place while they plan (and/or save) for something larger, for some it’s plenty as-is.
This would be for a more standard, multi-paged site.
CAN YOU BUILD ME A WEBSITE FOR A DOLLAR?
Nope. But working in the arts & small business communities I understand a limited budget and will always do what I can to work it for you. If you’d like to get in touch, we can have a chat about what you need (and what you want), and how much it’ll cost you. I know, everything should be a dollar.
WHAT ABOUT EMAIL MAIL-OUTS?
I really like MailChimp. They’re great AND affordable…free if you have a fairly small mailing list. It’s a super easy-to-use system, with customizable templates that I can help to make matchy-match with your website and overall branding. Have a noodle around on their site, or let me know if it’s something you’d like to chat about in more detail!
ANY SUGGESTIONS FOR DOMAIN REGISTRATION AND WEBSITE HOSTING?
Yes, I really like SiteGround. They have excellent customer service, and very fair pricing. Most people will be just fine with their most basic hosting plan (StartUp). And they offer a huge discount for the first chunk of time that you purchase (up to 3 years) …so I’d suggest going ahead with the 3 years if that’s feasible for you.
A FEW NOTES ABOUT WORKING WITH ME:
A few noteworthy things about how I approach my web design projects:
- I am currently only taking on small-medium sized projects.
- I build all of my sites on a WordPress platform, with a theme (page-builder) that I own and love, and that’s very flexible and customizable. It also makes the WordPress admin panel even easier and more intuitive to use.
- I include a tutorial for showing you how to use your admin panel so that you can manage your own content updates, if that’s something you’re interested in doing. This can be in person, by phone, or by Skype.
- PLEASE NOTE: I do not provide design mockups for this scale of project (this allows me to keep the cost MUCH lower). This doesn’t mean that you won’t have any say in how the site looks. We will have a conversation about any aesthetic preferences you have, you can also send me links to other sites that you may like (or dislike) elements of …and there will also be opportunities while the site is being built to make any changes that you’d like (within reason). Though I would say that it would be important for you to take a look at the work I’ve done previously and to feel like you like/trust my aesthetic, for this to be a good fit moving forward.
- If you’d prefer to not think about the design at all… I’m also happy to just go for it.
- We can chat about your project in more detail in person, by phone, or email …whichever you prefer.
- Turnaround is approx 1-2 weeks (depending on how many other projects I have on the go, and how quickly I get all of your content from you).
- I’m happy to answer any questions, and clear up any grey areas.
SOME PAST & CURRENT CLIENTS